Adele on the ‘brutal’ backlash after the Vegas stay was postponed

Advertisement

Adele on the 'brutal' backlash after the Vegas stay was postponed

In January, the singer announced in a teary-eyed Instagram video that she was calling off her residency, in which she admitted the show wasn’t finished, even though ticket holders had already arrived in Vegas for opening night.

Adele is back in the spotlight and is open about the “brutal” public reaction to the last-minute postponement of her Las Vegas stay.

Gareth Cattermole/Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images for Adele

If you can remember January, you might remember Adele shocking fans after announcing this Weekends with Adele Residenz would not proceed any further just 24 hours before it was due to open on January 21st.

George Rose/Getty Images

In a tearful video message uploaded to her Instagram account on January 20, Adele explained that the show, which was due to run at Caesars Palace from January to April, simply isn’t ready, citing production delays due to COVID-19 .

“My show isn’t done yet,” she said through tears. “We tried absolutely everything to put it together in time and for it to be good enough for you, but we were absolutely destroyed.”

At the time of their announcement, ticket holders — many of whom had paid thousands of dollars to travel and attend — had already arrived in Vegas for opening night, making the last-minute cancellation all the more shocking.

Samir Hussein/WireImage

Adele noted this in her message to fans, saying she was “upset and embarrassed” and adding: “I’m so sorry for everyone who has travelled… I’m really, really sorry.”

Although she assured ticket holders at the time that the Vegas concerts would be rescheduled – and Graham Norton said in February that the shows would be “absolutely 100%” later this year – there’s no word on the new dates at this time.

David M. Benett / Dave Benett / Getty Images

Now, after reflecting on the situation nearly six months later, Adele has no regrets making the tough call to put the show on hold.

Gareth Cattermole/Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images for Adele

“I definitely felt everyone’s disappointment and I was devastated and afraid to let them down,” she said during an appearance on BBC Radio 4 Desert Island Discs over the weekend.

“I thought I could pull it together and make it work, but I couldn’t, and I stand by that decision,” she added.

Allen J. Schaben/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images

The singer doubled down on her reasoning, saying the show wasn’t up to standard and because of that, going on was just not an option.

“I’m not going to do a show just because I have to, or because people are going to be let down, or because we’re going to lose a lot of money,” she said. “I think the show isn’t good enough.”

Jmenternational/Getty Images

After her first public show in five years at London’s BTS Hyde Park Festival on Friday, Adele admitted she was completely disheartened by the immense public scrutiny in response to Vegas’ cancellation.

Gareth Cattermole/Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images for Adele

“I was a shell of a person for a few months,” she said. “I just had to wait and just grieve, I guess, just mourn the shows and get over the guilt, but it was brutal.”

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

She also went on to theorize that the extent of the backlash could be partly due to the fact that artists – particularly those as famous as Adele – are not often forced to cancel such large events.

“I don’t think any other artist would have done what I did, and that’s why it was such a powerful, powerful story,” she said. “It was like I do not care. You can’t buy me, you can’t buy me for free.”

Samir Hussein/WireImage

The star went on to admit that she made the call to privately navigate through the “brutal” episodes. However, she said she wasn’t sure if this was the right thing to do.

“Maybe my silence was fatal, I don’t know. But it was awful,” she said afterwards.

Kevin Mazur/Getty Images

And while she assures fans that the Vegas shows will undoubtedly take place sometime this year, Adele remains tight-lipped about the details.

“I could be someone on TikTok or Instagram Live every day and be like, IM working on it — Of course I’m working on it!” she said. “I’m not going to update you if I don’t have anything to update you on because it only leads to more disappointment.”

The 15-time Grammy winner, who took the stage in London’s Hyde Park over the weekend, was warmly welcomed by a sold-out crowd of 65,000 fans.

Gareth Cattermole/Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images for Adele

“My god, I’m home again,” she told the star-studded audience, which included Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz, James Corden and Niall Horan.

Gareth Cattermole/Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images for Adele

Among those in attendance was Adele’s new partner, sports agent Rich Paul, who was photographed enjoying the show while seated next to the singer’s ex-husband, Simon Konecki.

She reportedly told her home crowd that the postponed Vegas dates would be announced “very, very soon.”

Gareth Cattermole/Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images for Adele

You May Also Like