Oscar winner Kevin Spacey, 62, is due to appear in a British court on Thursday charged with four counts of sexually assaulting three men in London and Gloucestershire
- The Oscar winner faces four counts of sexual assault
- He is also accused of engaging in penetrative sexual activity without consent
- Spacey will appear before Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London on Thursday
- In a statement last month, he said he was “confident” of being able to prove his innocence
Kevin Spacey will appear in court on Thursday charged with four counts of sexually assaulting three men in London and Gloucestershire.
The 62-year-old Oscar winner is accused of four counts of sexual assault against three men between 2005 and 2013.
Spacey is also accused of causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity against one of the same three men without consent, after the Metropolitan Police launched a criminal investigation in 2017.
The crimes are said to have taken place when he was artistic director of the Old Vic Theater in London.
He will be charged with the offenses in Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.
Prosecutors approved charges against him last month, but Spacey could only be charged after he traveled to the UK.
British prosecutors had suggested extraditing the actor from the US, but he will appear in court voluntarily.
In a statement released to Good Morning America after prosecutors announced last month, Spacey said he was “confident” of being able to prove his innocence.
The 62-year-old Oscar winner is accused of four counts of sexual assault against three men between 2005 and 2013
Spacey envisioned leaving court in New York City last month after testifying in a civil trial
Kevin Spacey outside The Old Vic Theater in London, where he was Artistic Director for 11 years. The alleged sexual assaults are said to have taken place during this time
The statement added: “I appreciate the prosecution’s statement as they carefully remind the media and public that I am entitled to a fair trial and am innocent until proven otherwise.”
“While I am disappointed in their decision to go ahead, I will appear voluntarily in the UK as soon as this can be arranged and defend myself against these charges, which I am confident will prove my innocence.”
The Crown Prosecution Service said last month that a man, now in his 40s, claims he was sexually assaulted twice by Spacey in March 2005.
A second man, now in his 30s, claims he was sexually assaulted in August 2008 and then forced to perform sexual acts against his will. All of these alleged incidents took place in London.
The third applicant, now in his 30s, alleges that he was sexually assaulted in Gloucestershire in April 2013.
A Met spokesman said today: “A man has been charged following the Met’s investigation into allegations of non-recent sex crimes.
“Kevin Spacey Fowler, 62, was officially charged today with four counts of sexually assaulting three men.
“He was also accused of tricking a person into engaging in penetrative sexual activity without consent.
“He is due to appear in Westminster Magistrates Court on Thursday 16 June at 10am.
“The charges follow a prosecutor’s review of evidence gathered by the Metropolitan Police in their investigation.”
The star of some of Hollywood’s biggest hits of the past three decades, as well as TV shows such as House of Cards, Spacey was Artistic Director of London’s Old Vic Theater between 2004 and 2015.
He has won two Oscars. The first was in 1995 as Best Supporting Actor in The Usual Suspects for his role as gangster Keyser Söze.
In 1999 he received the Best Actor award for his role in American Beauty, in which he played Lester Burnham, an advertising executive who has a midlife crisis and falls in love with his teenage daughter’s best friend.