Travis Scott has been slammed by the family of the latest victim of the Astroworld tragedy for showing off his $5.5 million luxury car.
Ten people were killed and thousands injured in the stampede for Scott’s concert at the Astroworld Music Festival in November 2021 – including 9-year-old Ezra Blount.
Ezra’s family sued Scott before the child died from his injuries, and others followed, leading to a series of lawsuits.
But as the lawsuits mount, Scott, who’s driving around in his $5.5million Bugatti Veyron Chiron Super Sport, is causing a backlash as the family’s attorney called the rapper’s luxury purchases “excessive.”
Bob Hillard, the family attorney’s attorney, told TMZ that Ezra would be alive today and enjoying his summer if Scott had spent half of what he paid for the Bugatti on basic security at the deadly music festival.
But a rep for Scott told TMZ that the car being referenced was purchased in 2020 — before the Astroworld tragedy.
Travis Scott is seen driving his $5.5 million Bugatti Veyron Chiron Super Sport on June 21, 2022, prompting the family of the latest Astroworld victim to slam him
Bob Hillard, the family attorney’s attorney, told TMZ that Ezra would be alive today if Scott had spent half of what he paid for the Bugatti on security at the deadly music festival
Ezra Blount, 9, poses in front of the Astroworld Festival entrance. He was the youngest victim of the November 2021 tragedy
“This latest attempt to exploit Astroworld’s victims and gas the media and public is a new low,” the spokesman said.
“The car referenced was purchased back in 2020 (well before the tragic events at Astroworld) and received extensive media coverage – including TMZ – at the time. Misrepresenting a two-year-old car purchase to unprovokedly and unfairly attack Travis Scott is nothing more than another desperate publicity stunt to try to falsely blame Travis and intentionally manipulate public opinion, which isn’t going to work.
Ten people were killed and more than 4,900 injured in the stampede at Scott’s concert last year, a total number of injured concertgoers that was exponentially higher than originally reported, a court filing revealed in May.
Astroworld’s ten fatalities – (clockwise) Madison Dubiski, 23; John Hilgert, 14; Bharti Shahani, 22; Axel Acosta, 21; Brianna Rodriguez, 16; Mirza Baig, 27; Franco Patino, 21; Jakob Jurinek, 21; Rodolfo Angel Pena, 23; and Ezra Blount, 9
Emergency personnel at the Astroworld festival in November. Scott has repeatedly denied responsibility for the tragedy
Ambulances tend to the panicked crowd at the Astroworld Festival in November. Over 4,900 reported injuries were sustained at the concert
A woman who says she lost her pregnancy as a result of injuries sustained during the Astroworld festival crowds is suing Scott and festival organizers for the wrongful death of her unborn baby.
Shanazia Williamson and her husband, Jarawd Owens, of Dayton, Ohio, said they were expecting a child while attending Astroworld Festival on November 5, 2021. They said they lost the fetus due to injuries Williamson sustained at the festival.
In December, Williamson and Owens filed lawsuits against Scott, festival promoters Live Nation and ScoreMore, security firms Valle Services SMG and ASM Global, and Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation.
“While attending the festival, Shanazia was trampled and crushed, resulting in horrific injuries and eventual death of her and Jarawd’s unborn child,” the lawsuit reads. “In addition, Shanazia sustained injuries to her shoulder, back, leg, chest, stomach and other parts of her body.”
The lawsuit also alleges that the defendants failed to provide adequate security or medical personnel and that they failed to recognize the dangers of setting up the event.
Williamson and Owens’ lawsuit is one of hundreds filed against Scott and companies involved in the festival. Scott, his label Cactus Jack, Live Nation, ScoreMore, Apple, the festival’s security firms and the venue itself are facing billions of dollars in damage from people injured at the festival.
The deadly incident brought a myriad of legal problems for Scott, as well as a lot of public backlash over his alleged handling of the deadly incident.
Scott is expected to perform at his first festival since Astroworld next November. He will headline the Primavera Sound Festival next November and play three shows, with New Zealand singer Lorde leading the lineup
He was released to headline Coachella 2022 as well as headlining last year’s Day N Vegas Festival.
Attorneys Jason Itkin, Richard Mithoff and Sean Roberts said 732 victims were seriously injured and required extensive medical attention after the stampede.
They claim another 1,649 have received less comprehensive treatment and the severity of injuries to 2,540 concert-goers is still being reviewed, Rolling Stone first reported.
The filing did not specify what constituted “major” or “lesser” treatment.
They also refused to disclose the victims’ claims for damages. It was previously reported that around 125 people have filed civil lawsuits against Scott and concert promoter Live Nation, seeking potential damages of $750 million.
Live Nation and the festival’s main security firm, Contemporary Services Corporation, have denied all allegations against her.
Scott himself has consistently denied any responsibility for the Astroworld tragedy.
He will headline the Primavera Sound Festival next November and play three shows, with New Zealand singer Lorde leading the lineup.