USMNT vs. Grenada
2022-23 Concacaf Nations League Group Stage Match No.1
June 10, 2022
Q2 Stadium; Austin, Texas
Pre-game coverage: 9:30 p.m. ET on ESPN+, UniMás, TUDN
Kickoff: 10 p.m. ET on ESPN+, UniMás, TUDN
Social media: @USMNT at Twitter and Instagram; US soccer on Facebook The US soccer app
Today’s USMNT starting XI against Grenada: 1-Matt Turner, 5-Antonee Robinson, 7-Paul Arriola, 8-Weston McKennie (Captain), 9-Jesus Ferreira, 13-Jordan Morris, 14-Luca de la Torre, 15-Aaron Long, 20-Cameron Carter – Vickers, 22-Reggie Cannon, 23-Kellyn Acosta
Substitutes: 12 – Sean Johnson, 18 – Ethan Horvath, 2 – DeAndre Yedlin, 3 – Walker Zimmerman, 4 – Joe Scally, 6 – Yunus Musah, 10 – Cristian Roldan, 11 – Brenden Aaronson, 16 – George Bello, 17 – Malik Tillman, 19-Haji Wright, 21-Tim Weah
GAME NOTES | FIVE THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT GRENADA
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this game): Kellyn Acosta (52), Jordan Morris (47), Paul Arriola (46), Weston McKennie (34), Antonee Robinson (28), Reggie Cannon (26), Aaron Long ( 26), Matt Turner (18), Jesús Ferreira (12), Cameron Carter-Vickers (10), Luca de la Torre (10)
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers in official competition (including this game): Kellyn Acosta (33), Paul Arriola (31), Jordan Morris (27), Weston McKennie (19), Reggie Cannon (15), Antonee Robinson (15), Matt Turner (15), Aaron Long (11), Jesús Ferreira (7), Luca de la Torre (5), Cameron Carter-Vickers (1)
- USMNT Concacaf Nations League starting XI numbers (including this game): Weston McKennie (7), Paul Arriola (5), Jordan Morris (5), Reggie Cannon (5), Aaron Long (4), Kellyn Acosta (3 ) , Antonee Robinson (2), Cameron Carter-Vickers (1), Luca de la Torre (1), Jesús Ferreira (1), Matt Turner (1)
- Today’s starting eleven has an average age of 25 years and 235 days.
- The USMNT roster has averaged 27 caps and 15 appearances in official competition.
- Gregg Berhalter makes eight changes from the USMNT line-up that started in Sunday’s tie against Uruguay, with defender Aaron Long, midfielder Weston McKennie and forward Jesús Ferreira as overtakers.
- Forward Jordan Morris and midfielder Kellyn Acosta make their first appearances in the June window.
- Jordan Morris led all US players with four assists and shared the lead with Weston McKennie with four goals in the 2019-21 Concacaf Nations League.
- Weston McKennie captained the USMNT tonight for the third time and for the first time since the 2-1 loss in Switzerland on May 30, 2021. McKennie is the only US player to appear in all six 2019-21 CNL games is.
- Goaltender Matt Turner returns between the sticks during his third appearance for the USMNT at Austin’s Q2 Stadium. Turner was awarded Budweiser Man of the Match for his performance with three saves in USA’s 1-0 win over Qatar in last year’s Gold Cup semifinals on July 29, 2021. He kept a clean sheet again in the team’s 2-0 win over Jamaica in 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifying on 7 October 2021.
- makes his 10thth Appearing tonight, centre-back Cameron Carter-Vickers earned his first cap in official competition.
- The duo of Cameron Carter-Vickers and Aaron Long are the 20thth other center-back pairing under USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter.
- Also his 10thth Tonight’s performance earns Luca de la Torre his third start for the USMNT.
- To celebrate his 24thth Birthday on Saturday, right-back Reggie Cannon gets his second start of June camp tonight. Cannon also started in the 3-0 win over Morocco on June 1 in Cincinnati.
- Five players with Texas State ties start for the USA tonight. Kellyn Acosta (Plano, Texas), Reggie Cannon (Grapevine, Texas) and Jesús Ferreira (McKinney, Texas) are all FC Dallas Academy products who went on to play for the club’s first team. Weston McKennie (Little Elm, Texas) also played for FC Dallas Academy before signing for German Bundesliga club Schalke in 2016, while forward Paul Arriola joined the club earlier this season.
- With teams limited to 23 players, defender Erik Palmer-Brown (hamstring), midfielder Tyler Adams (coach’s decision) and forward Christian Pulisic (coach’s decision) are not part of today’s squad. Teams are allowed to make five substitutions at three different moments.
- The USA are 3-0-0 all-time against Grenada. The teams played a home and away series in the preliminary round of 2006 FIFA World Cup qualifiers, with USA winning 3–0 in Columbus, Ohio on June 13, 2004 before a 3–2 away win on June 20 gained. 2004 in St George’s Grenada. The last meeting came in the opening game of the 2009 Concacaf Gold Cup when the USA won 4-0 in Seattle on July 4th.
- The USMNT is 2-0-0 all-time at Q2 Stadium in Austin. The team beat Qatar 1-0 in the semifinals of the Concacaf Gold Cup on July 29, 2021 and defeated Jamaica 2-0 in the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifier on October 7, 2021.
- Hector Said Martinez from Honduras is the referee for today’s game. He has previously officiated four USMNT games: 0-0 draw with Bosnia and Herzegovina (28 January 2018; Friendly), 6-0 win over Trinidad and Tobago (22 June 2019; Concacaf Gold Cup), 7-0 Win over Trinidad and Tobago (31 January 2021; Friendly), 1-0 win over Haiti (11 July 2021; Concacaf Gold Cup).