NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Sergio Garcia, one of the golfers who threatened legal action over the DP World Tour’s suspensions of LIV golf competitors, reportedly went into a heated rage during the BMW International Open after learning of the tour’s actions .
A player who took part in the tournament last week told The Daily Telegraph that Garcia “went out of control” after learning in the dressing room that the European tour had fined those players $120,000 had imposed Participation in LIV golf events with no releases and banned those players from playing at the Scottish Open next week.
“The news [of the ban] came out during last week’s BMW International [in Munich]’ the anonymous player told the outlet. “Sergio flew off the handle and yelled, ‘This tour is s—, you’re all f—ed, should have taken the Saudi money.’ (Scottish golfer) Bob MacIntyre was there and was disgusted.
PGA LEGEND CURTIS ODD WHY PROS GO TO LIV GOLF: IT’S ABOUT THE MONEY
“Sergio’s reputation had already suffered quite a bit, but that sealed it for a lot of us,” the player continued. “The tirade in America last month was one thing, but this is his home tour where he started and he shouldn’t forget that. Fair enough, he took the money. But he doesn’t have to rub other players’ noses in it.”
During the opening round of the Wells Fargo Championship in May, Garcia enraged again after being penalized for taking too long to find his ball on the 10th hole.
“I can’t wait to get off this tour,” he said, according to multiple reports. “Can’t wait to get out of here. A few more weeks and I won’t have to deal with you anymore.”
The comments came before Garcia officially joined LIV Golf.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS REPORTS ON FOXNEWS.COM
Garcia is among 16 players from the European circuit who sent a letter to the DP World Tour threatening legal action over the tour’s recent decision to ban players from joining the Saudi-backed golf league and with a to be fined.
The letter, obtained by The Daily Telegraph, reads: “Rather than wasting our time, energy, financial resources and focusing on appeals, injunctions and lawsuits, we would like to ask you, the administrators of the DP World Tour, To reconsider their recent penalties and sanctions and instead focus our energies on forging a path forward that is better for DP World Tour members and the game of golf.”
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
But European Tour CEO Keith Pelley fired back on Friday, saying those players were aware of the consequences, going so far as to point out that several of the players who signed the letter hadn’t shown any real interest for several years had shown on the tour.
“I wish many of them were as keen to play on our tour then as they seem to be today based on the fact that they either canceled their membership of the PGA Tour or, if they are still a member have been suspended indefinitely,” Pelley said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.