TOKOYO: The Tower of Eternity will exit Early Access and launch June 2 for Switch and PC via Steam for $11.99, publisher PLAYISM and developer //commentout announced. It will support English, Japanese and Simplified Chinese language options.
The side-scrolling action roguelike game was first released in Early Access for PC via Steam on November 7th, 2020. The Switch version was previously announced alongside iOS and Android versions, which weren’t mentioned in today’s press release. A PlayStation 4 version was also previously announced.
Here is an overview of the game, via PLAYISM:
You will find yourself in a mysterious tower that changes its entire structure every 24 hours.
The legacy of your epic battle shall be etched like an epitaph in the hearts of those who challenge you. Overcome countless poor fallen souls and make your way to the previously invisible peak!
TOKOYO: The Tower of Eternity is a 2D social roguelike game set in the titular Tower of Perpetuity, filled with wild monsters and traps, procedurally generated every 24 hours. The title was created by solo indie developer Saebashi under his personal doujin circle //commentout.
In sharp contrast to the overall cute character and game design, the gameplay is laced with challenging boss fights and platforming sequences to put your skills to the test.
The title caught the attention of various media from an early stage of development and received the following awards and nominations:
- Xiamen International Animation Festival 2019 Game Contest, Won Best Game Application Award.
- Tokyo Game Show 2018, nominated for the Dengeki PlayStation Indie Game Award.
- Tokyo Game Show 2017, nominated for the Dengeki PlayStation Indie Game Category.
You can play the five playable characters as in TOKOYO: The Tower of Eternity have no basic attacks. However, each character has a different powerful ability that can be used, but it has a cooldown. As such, players must be able to skillfully dodge and use items while the skill is on cooldown.
- Maid from Hell: Cocoa – Dexterity: Knives rotate around the character and act as a shield that also deals damage to enemies
- Automated cleaning robot: Kanae – Skill: Fires a continuous stream of fire in all directions
- Sickly Dragon Maid: Shippo de Tail – Ability: Fires a long-range continuous laser
- Fox Spirit Kunoichi: Kukuri – Ability: Fires a bunch of homing cross-shaped shuriken
- Thousand-year-old shapeshifting fox: Imibi – Ability: creates a barrier that attacks enemies who break through it
- An automatically generated dungeon that changes daily – This 2D action game is set in TOKOYO – the Tower of Eternity – an ever-changing and diabolically treacherous auto-generated dungeon crawling tower filled with fiendish monsters and brutal traps. The Tower of Eternity is automatically regenerated by the game server every 24 hours (in real time), so players around the world can conquer the same dungeon every day, for just one day. Different traps and gimmicks await you every day, and you’ll have to compete against other players as you battle your way through. The dungeon contains various branches that offer a degree of free choice and randomization.
- Light social items – Social features that use the network have been implemented into the game where a tombstone is placed where a player meets their end, which appears in other players’ games along with their “Relics” and “Last Words”. Utilize the various special abilities bestowed on each character and face off against other players as you struggle to outperform the myriad bodies of your less fortunate rivals and battle your way through the impregnable dungeon.
- Character customization (only available on Steam) – Freely edit and customize skins for your character, which will then appear in the game. You can even add opening and ending stories and dialogue to your character to enhance their narratives and personality! Take on the role of your favorite character and dominate TOKOYO: Tower of Eternity!
- Official Custom Characters Coming Soon! – We’ve worked with well-known illustrators, streamers and game designers to bring you custom characters to play alongside the five existing playable characters. We’ll be implementing them into the game at a later date, so please stay tuned!
Steam full version
The Early Access Steam version will receive the following updates via full version patches.
- Implemented True Boss.
- Implemented true ending.
- successes implemented.
- Mod features improved (added opening story, etc.).
- Added collection items.
- New card gimmicks.
- Practice mode with challenging bosses.
- Significant increase in automatically generated variations (over 300!).
Check out a new trailer below. Check out a new set of screenshots in the gallery.